10 Things to Know
Ten Things To Know Before Having your Car Repaired
This is valuable information that we freely give in order to offer the best possible service.
- Your car is the second largest investment you're likely to make. Preserve its value and your safety by having it repaired professionally.
- Never drive a car that could be unsafe because of damages.
- Some insurance companies may want you to visit their drive-in claims center before having your car repaired. You can do this, or you may leave your car at our shop and ask that the insurance company inspect the car here.
- There is no law requiring you to obtain more than one estimate or appraisal.
- You have the right to go to the repair shop of your choice. Your insurance company cannot require you to go to a particular shop.
- Differences in repair estimates are common. A lower estimate may not include all necessary work. If you're not sure why one estimate is different from another you've received, please ask us about it.
- Choose a shop that has uni-body repair equipment and certified technicians. (by I-CAR or ASE, for example)
- Ask if the shop will be using genuine manufacturer replacement parts.
- Ask if the shop offers a repair warranty. A warranty is like a promise.
- Let us help you negotiate your claim with the insurance company.
Pitfalls To Avoid
- Many people have no idea what their auto insurance policy really says. A common pitfall is to believe that they have 'Full Coverage' or 'Their insurance company will take care of everything'! They come to us for repairs and are amazed to find that they don't even have provisions in their policy for rental car coverage. Many policies are available that are excellent coverage and there are a lot of solid insurance companies and agents.
We simply suggest that you get your policy out and read it. Maybe even go over it with your agent and really get to know exactly what it is you are paying for every month!
Many people are not prepared to make the decisions they are forced to make shortly after being involved in an accident. We have people who say 'I just had a wreck, what do I need to do to have my car fixed?'
If you have taken the time to review your insurance policy some of these decisions would be answered. We believe it is a good idea to take some time to think some of the decisions through in advance. Sit down with your spouse, a close friend, your agent etc. and get some answers to questions like, 'If I was involved in an accident, what decisions do I need to make and how would I make them?'
YOU HAVE JUST BECOME INVOLVED IN AN ACCIDENT! It can happen that quick anytime you are driving. Not a pleasant thought... Unfortunately it happens. Even to the best of drivers. It may or may not be your fault! But what happens afterwards is up to you. Many people believe that since their insurance company is paying the bill, the decisions should be up to them. The truth is: It is your money that the insurance company is spending to pay for repairs. Remember, you pay premiums every month and count on the insurance company to be there for you. It's your money. It's your car. You make the decisions.
Remember: Know your policy. Make sure you haven't signed anything that may limit the decisions you need to make in order to protect the investment in your vehicle!